Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Saturday, January 29, 2011

All Aboard From Boston to Chicago

Wednesday January 26th, 2011
I woke up somewhere in Ohio.  I believe it was Cleveland.  I slept o.k. during the night.  I had the seat to myself, so I could stretch out.  It was hot inside the train for most of the day before and in the evening, but cooler at night.  I did not take my sleeping bag out, so I was a little cold.
Inside my train car from Boston to Chicago
I had a banana, a mandarin orange, and some walnuts for breakfast.  I arrived in the Windy City at about 9:55 Central Standard Time.  I had time to go for a walk before my next train to catch at 2:00pm.

Skyline of Chicago on a cold winter day




I walked down to Lake Michigan and over to Navy Pier.  It was a couple of miles and it was cold.  Not too windy though.

I have been to Chicago many times, but never to Navy Pier.  There was not much going on there, but I could imagine what it will be like when I come back through in May.  For one thing, it will be a lot warmer.

I walked around for 3 hours with my backpack on.  I love just going out and exploring places.  I asked where the nearest Trader Joe's was, so I could stock up on some food for the two and half day trip out to California.  I wanted to bring food on the train, so I would have a bunch of healthy food choices.  I bought some yogurt, granola, a pomegranate, an orange, a few bananas, an apple, hummus, crackers, spring mix, goat cheese with blueberries and a Toblerone chocolate bar.  I also bought a few bottles of seltzer water.
I made it back to Union Station with about 15 minutes before my train was heading west.
Navy Pier - Chicago Illinois
I was happy about my trek through downtown Chicago.  It was a good workout and now I had some great food to eat on my long train ride to California.  There is food available on the train.  They have a Cafe Car and a Dining Car.  I may eat a meal in the Dining car;  where fresh food is prepared.
Frozen Lake Michigan
Fishing on Lake Michigan
Lots Of Fun at Navy Pier

No comments:

Post a Comment