Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

The Tornado that I missed!

I tackled the Berkshires!!  They were not easy with my trailer.
Originally, I was going to find a campground and hang out and write for the day.
Since it was raining, I decided to keep on riding.  There was no stopping me now.
I stopped in Granville at the General Store there.  I had an egg sandwich, some mac and cheddar cheese and I was on my way east.
I rode to Springfield, past the Big 'E' and then into downtown.
All familiar territory.  I was in the Commonwealth!!!
I first saw the damage of the tornado that went through a couple weeks before on the west side of the Connecticut River.  Once I crossed the bridge, I saw even more.  Wow!!
Massachusetts does not get many tornados.
I continued to ride east.  I had schools to visit in Springfield, but not until Monday.
I decided to ride as much as I could this day and then I would have Courtney or Skyler pick me up.  I figured I am so close now - why not just sleep in my bed tonight.
Although the rain had stopped;  it was still cloudy and not too warm.
I stopped in the late afternoon for pizza.  All those hills had made me really hungry.  I could not figure out if it was Italian or Greek pizza.  I prefer Italian!
As the afternoon went on, I saw even more damage for the tornado.  When the tornado went through, I was in NJ.  On the news, they stated that it went through Springfield.  I did not realize that it went through Monson, Brimfield and parts of Sturbridge.
I ended up in Monson center at about 6:00 that evening.  I was amazed at how much damage this small town had incurred.
Skyler picked me up in his truck to take me home for the night.  Thanks Skyler.

No comments:

Post a Comment