Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Monday, March 21, 2011

Albuquerque, New Mexico

March 10-March 14 2011

I had a blast in Albuquerque.  I met so many wonderful people!!

On Thursday night, I stayed with my new friends Rike and Leo. I arrived at their house late Thursday afternoon.  Leo came home from work and we talked for a long time, before Rike arrived home.
They both took me out to dinner that night.

Rike and I rode to her school on Friday morning.












I visited both the Painted Sky and Seven Bar Elementary Schools on Friday.  They both have awesome, dedicated Physical Education Teachers and wonderful students!!!

In between school visits, I hiked around the Petroglyphs National Monument.

On Friday night, my new friend Bruce was able to get me a room at the Courtyard Marriott in town.  After school, he rode down with me to check into my room.  Thanks to both Bruce and Kathy for that.  Bruce is one of the PE teachers at 7 Bar Elementary and Kathy is the Guest Services Manager at the Marriott.  That night, Bruce, his wife Bonnie and his son Taylor took me out to dinner.







Along the bike trail on Saturday,  I met Sandy, a native New Yorker on my way to Bruce's house.  She was a PE teacher at one time.  She also taught many years as a Special Educator.  She is an avid cyclist.




Saturday afternoon, I had to fix my trailer as one of the wheels fell off and I almost crashed.  Luckily, Rike and Leo came to my rescue and we went to Lowe's to remedy the situation for $2.36.  They then took me hiking.  We also drove through many Native American Pueblos.










After the hike, we all went to Bruce's house for dinner;  which was very good.  I was to stay with Bruce and his family for the night.  They would be leaving on a college visit in southern New Mexico for their daughter Tori, in the morning.



On Sunday afternoon, Rike and I cycled to the San Felipe Pueblo (part of my route north).   It was so nice to ride with her, even if there was a headwind almost the whole way.  We stopped to have lunch at a Mexican eatery.  I had the combination plate.  It was yummy.

That night, they took me to their friends Mary Ann and Bruce's house where we had a wonderful St. Patrick's meal.

On Monday morning, Rike took me to the spot where we had stopped yesterday.  We first went to the building where Leo works, so we could say farewell for now.

It was really hard to leave Albuquerque.  As I said earlier,  I met so many nice people and made close strong connections with them in such a short period of time.

Some people have asked what have been some of my struggles with my journey.  One of the struggles has been to leave the people that have been so kind to me and who I have made these strong connections with.  My hope is that we will always stay connected!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment