Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Heavy Winds - the Wrong Way

Tuesday March 8, 2011

There were no winds when I woke up.  I thought that this was a very good sign for riding.
The winds were going all that night.
Once I got on the road it was a different story.  I immediately had headwinds.  They were not too strong at first.
The bigger town of Socorro was about 9 miles away from where I camped.
I went to the library to work on my blog and then I went to the store to get some food.
It was a cold and windy day.
I rode out of town in the afternoon and it was a real struggle to go anywhere on my bike, because of the winds.  I was no figuring out that the winds can pick up in the afternoon.
I was on a frontage road that dead ended.  I decided to go toward their waterways  and just walk a couple of miles, because my legs were tired from the winds and the heavy mileage I had been doing.
One of the workers who releases water in their drainage ditches, helped me with directions.
I was on a dirt road and I liked the change that walking was giving me.
After a few miles though, I was back on pavement and just kept on going.  It was tough, but I wanted to at least ride 30 miles that day.  Tomorrow I knew that I would be in Albuquerque.
At one point, there were no more secondary roads.  I had been riding through farmlands and many small communities.
I had to go on Interstate 25.  I would at least have to go for 6 miles, as there was an exit at this point.
I did this, even though it was getting late.


At this exit, there was a wildlife refuge.  I found a place to camp right outside of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment