Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Arizona, Here I Come

My new friend Melissa and Coach Cate
Made it to Arizona!!!
Monday February 14, 2011

This was the day, that I would cross over into my first state heading east and also changing to a new time zone.
After getting well rested and nourished in Blythe, I was ready to ride into Arizona.
I had a school that I was going to speak at in Quartizite, Arizona and then I would continue on in riding in the desert.
I was excited to speak at this school, as I had not spoken to a group in a few days.
I arrived in Quartzite around 12:00 noon.  I had lost an hour of time and would have to adjust myself for the new time zone.
I met my new friend Melissa, who's husband I had met the previous day.
I then went to speak to a group of Junior and Senior High Students.
I then went to the library right near the school and then it was time to get back on my bike and try to make it to Exit 45 for the night.
I soon found out that Arizona did not clean their roads too well and the trucks and cars on the interstate rarely moved over to the other lane when they were passing me.
I got a flat tire about 6 miles from my destination for the night.  I know that it was from the debris on the shoulder where I was riding.  I was constantly trying to avoid the tire pieces, as there are sharp bits of metal in them.  I was not surprised to get a flat.
I got off at my exit for the night.  It was Exit 45.  There was no town;  just two truck stops.
I hung out at the truck stop for awhile and towards dusk, I looked for a place to camp in the desert.  I rode close to 50 miles this day.  Mostly all on Interstate 10.
Coach Cate at The Scholar's Academy in Quartzite, Arizona

Coach Cate and Principal Mr. McClenning

Colorado River Indian Reservation, Arizona

Interstate 10

Fixing My Flat

Rusty at a Truck Stop

Scenery of the Day

No comments:

Post a Comment