Coach Cate

Coach Cate

Monday, February 14, 2011

Box Canyon Road

Box Canyon 
Friday February 11, 2011

The reason I have not blogged lately is because of the remote areas I have been traveling through.
As many local people have told me:  "There is not much out there, but desert."

This day I had a decision to make.  I could go on Interstate 10 or go down into Mecca and then up on Box Canyon Road.
I decided to go many miles out of my way and headed southeast to Mecca.
There was not much of a town.  This is the first area that I have been in where when I asked a few people about directions, they could not answer me because they spoke very little English and I speak very little Spanish.
After I arrived in Mecca and passed a lemon grove (so cool) I started my climb up through the canyon.
There was no cell service and I did not encounter many people for many miles.
Then I saw a couple of cyclists and I thought they might be part of a group.
They were part of a group from Palm Springs on a little day trip that they paid for.
The ride for me to the Joshua Tree entrance was all up hill.  The ride for them through the canyon was all downhill.
I camped right outside the entrance to Joshua Tree on BLM land.  My first night of camping. 
I was hoping that a rattlesnake would not cuddle up with me.

Small town in California

Lemon Grove

Beautiful!

Joshua Tree Trail

Camping outside Joshua Tree

Sunset in the California Desert

No comments:

Post a Comment